PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN DURING THE TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE:
The longest total lunar eclipse falls on the night of 27th – 28th July, 2018. Here are some of the precautions, remedies and mantras which will be useful to you during this event.
- Before the Sutak time starts, put Durva grass or a pinch of sesame seeds in all foods and drinks.
- The eclipse is the best time to do chanting (जप), mantra sadhana and meditation.
- After the eclipse period is over, take a bath and wear fresh washed clothes. If possible take a dip in a river near your place. If that is not possible, add a few drops of Gangajal to your bathing water.
- Clean your place of worship and idols of deities and then perform the regular pooja.
- You can have meals after the bath, pooja and donations are done.
- It is very auspicious to clean the house thoroughly after the eclipse. You can sprinkle Gangajal or Gau mutra all over the house.
- Avoid starting any new work or finalizing a deal during the eclipse period.
- No pooja or any worship rituals are to be done during the entire period till the Sutak ends. Also keep away from Tulsi plant.
- Do not eat or drink anything during the eclipse period. Finish off your meals at least 5-6 hours before the eclipse. Many people fast once the Sutak period begins and break their fast only after the Sutak ends.
- Abstain from oil massage, combing hair, brushing teeth and sexual activities.
- If possible avoid sleeping during the eclipse period.
- Avoid eating the food which is cooked before the eclipse. You can give this food to the cow. Have the food which is cooked after the eclipse.
SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS FOR PREGNANT LADIES:
- Pregnant ladies should take care during the eclipse period. Avoid watching the eclipse. Do not go out during the eclipse period.
- There is no need to fast for pregnant ladies. Preferably have your meals an hour before the eclipse starts.
- Wear loose clothing and tie your hair too loosely. Keep some Durva grass next to you.
- Avoid cutting or stitching in this period. Keep away from all pointed and sharp objects.
- Recite Santana Gopala Mantra during the eclipse. (Given below in the Mantra section)
- Do not fear nor stress yourself.
- Take bath only once after the eclipse is over. Light a lamp and have something light to eat.
REMEDIES FOR ZODIAC SIGNS:
Control your anger and ego. Donate medicines, jaggery and masoor dal. Recite Hanuman Chalisa as many times as possible.
Stay away from stress and laziness. Recite Shri Sukta Path. Japa of “Aum Bhairave Namah” would also be helpful. Donate foodgrains in temple.
Take great care of your health. Feed grass or spinach to a cow. Donate some money to a gaushala which cares for stray cows and cattle.
Worship Lord Shiva before the eclipse commences with 108 recitations (जप) of the mantra: || Aum Som Somaaye Namah || – || ऊँ सों सोमाय नम: ||. Those facing financial problems should recite the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra.
Keep a control over your temper. Recite Gayatri Mantra 108 times. Donate wheat and jaggery.
Donate green bangles, money to eunuchs (किन्नर) or and Moong dal to a temple. Feed spinach to a cow. Recite || Aum Shanti || – || ऊँ शांति || ऊँ continually during the eclipse period.
Take an oath to be more disciplined in life. Recite Shree Sukta Path before the Sutak. You can also do japa of the following mantra: || Om Tatva Niranjnaya Tarakaramaya Namaha || – || ॐ तत्त्व निरंजनाय ताराकरामय नमः ||. Donate food grains.
Keep away from mental stress. Light a ghee lamp in front of Hanuman ji and recite Hanuman Chalisa.
If possible, do Vishnu Sahastranaam path. Feed a cow. Donate jiggery and gram dal (चना दाल).
Recitation of Sundarkand Path and chanting of Maha Mrityunjaya mantra would be very beneficial to you. Donate black sesame seeds (काले तिल).
It would be best to recite Hanuman Chalisa before the Sutak time starts. Donate black gram dal (काली उड़द).
Recite Vishnu Sahastranaam. You can also chant the mantra || Om Hreeng Kleeng Sauh || – || ॐ ह्रीं क्लीं सौः || Donate bananas to the poor.
SPECIAL MANTRA REMEDIES:
The best remedy is to meditate or do chanting (जप) during the course of the eclipse. Scriptures mention that Mantras recited during this period give thousand fold effect as compared to the mantras recited on a normal day.
Also note that there is no restrictions on anyone for reciting mantras. Even menstruating women can chant mantras.
- People of all zodiac signs can do recitation of the following mantra:
Panchakshari mantra of Lord Shiva:
ll Namah Shivaya ll – ll नमः शिवाय ll
- Those who are undergoing Sade Sati or Shani Dhaiyya should recite the Mantra:
llAum Sham Shanishcharaaye Namah ll – ll “ॐ शं शानिश्चराए नमः ll
- This remedy is for children and those doing Sadhana. The mantra given here helps one in increasing one’s knowledge by releasing the amassed dull and regressive energies of the mind. This mantra is to be chanted on the night of the Lunar Eclipse:
ll Om Namo Bhagvati Chandraprabh Jinendraaye
Chandra Mahitaaye Chandra Kirti Mukh Ranjini Swaha ll
ll ॐ नमो भगवती चन्द्रप्रभ जिनेन्द्राय चन्द्र महिताय चन्द्र कीर्ति मुख रंजिनी स्वाहा ll
- Those suffering from some illness or diseases should chant the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra:
ll Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanan Mrityor Mukshiya Maamritat ll
- Santana Gopala Mantra for Pregnant ladies:
ll OM DEVKI SUDHA GOVINDA VASUDEV JAGATPATE
DEHIME TANEY KRISHNAN TWAMAHAM SHRNAM GATAH ll
- Chandra [Moon] Gayatri Mantra:
- You can also recite the simple Gayatri Mantra.
To read the effect of the Total Lunar Eclipse on your zodiac sign, read HERE