A ‘Dosha’ in Astrology indicates unfavorable planetary placements or combinations in one’s horoscopes. There are different types of Doshas – Mangal Dosha, Kaal Sarpa Dosha, Shraapit Dosha, etc.
WHAT IS PITRA DOSHA?
Pitra Dosha is one of the most dreaded dosha formed in a horoscope. This dosha is also one of the most misunderstood of all the doshas. It is commonly believed that Pitra Dosha is a curse of the ancestors upon the person in whose horoscope it appears. This is NOT the case. Pitra Dosha in fact indicates a curse on the ancestors! (Exception: See point 4 under COMBINATIONS forming Pitra Dosha)
The native having Pitra Dosha has to repay the karmic debts of his ancestors. Yes, he has to pay for the karma of his ancestors. You may ask: why should a person suffer for the deeds of others? Just as a person inherits genes, genetic problems, wealth, properties, qualities, etc. from his ancestors; in the same way, he inherits the karmic debts of his ascendants.
Generally, we are born among the same family/friend circle through many births as we have karmic debts to clear. Many times, the same ancestor takes rebirth in the same family as a grandson or great-grandson. In such a case, he has to repay for the deeds he did in his earlier birth/s.
If he had acted in some malicious manner or indulged in criminal activities thereby hurting others physically/mentally in any manner, then in his successive birth, he is born with Pitra Dosha in his horoscope. He will obviously have to bear the fruits of his earlier wrongdoings. This will continue till the time his suffering equals the sorrow he had caused to others. Alternatively, he can balance out his karmic debt by doing good deeds, being patient and serving people in the appropriate manner. For example if he had hurt his parents in earlier birth, he should not be extra patient and respectful towards them.
Pitra Dosha may occur if any of the ancestors up to 7th generation on the patriarchal side and up to 4th generation on the matriarchal side have died an early or unnatural death or have intense pending karma.
HOW IS THE PITRA DOSHA FORMED?
The 9th house in a horoscope represents our ancestors -our forefathers. It also represents our Dharma – our duty towards our ancestors. Also, the 4th house represents our mother as well as foremothers and other female ancestors.
Among the planets, Pitra Dosha can be formed due to any planet which is malefic in the horoscope. But of all, Rahu (North Node)/Ketu (South Node) have the most important roles to play.
Malefic planets when associated with the 9th house or 9th house lord (9th house/lord from Ascendant/Moon) indicate exasperated desires of the ancestors’ soul. Hence, whenever malefic planets or lords of 6/8/12th houses in conjunct or aspect, affect the 9th house or the 9th house lord, it definitely forms Pitra Dosha Yog . Brahat Parashar Hora Shastra (BPHS) mentions 14 different kinds of Pitra-dosha.
LET US SEE SOME OF THE COMBINATIONS WHICH RESULT IN PITRA DOSHA:
- In general, Rahu or Ketu conjunct with the luminaries Sun and Moon and placed in the 6/8/12th houses form strong Pitra Dosha.
- Conjunction of Sun+Rahu or Sun+Saturn in 1/2/4/5/7/9/10th houses results in Pitra Dosha. Take for example, Sun+Rahu is placed in the seventh house. Such a person may find it difficult to get married. Or if married, his life will be full of disturbances and dissension. Sun conjunct Rahu when in 10th house cause hurdles in career and professional life. Sun and Rahu placed together in the 9th house indicates a strong Pitra Dosh. Furthermore, if Sun is debilitated, the malefic results shall be more pronounced.
- When any malefic planet is placed in the 9th house or affects the lord of the 9th house, it forms Pitra Dosha.
- Malefic Sun placed in the 9th house is Pitra Dosha indicating suffering due to the curse of the ancestors.
- The placement of Venus, Saturn and Rahu, or two of these three in the 2nd or 5th or 9th or 12th House of the horoscope indicates Pitra Dosha.
- Mercury or Ketu or both situated in 1st or 8th House in the horoscope result in formation of Pitra Dosha.
- If the Ascendant lord is placed in the 6/8/12th houses and Rahu is placed in the Ascendant, then too Pitra Dosha is formed.
- Weak/debilitated Ascendant afflicted with Rahu+Saturn conjunction.
- Jupiter afflicted by malefic planets (Saturn, Rahu or Ketu) and placed in 9th house of the horoscope creates Pitra Dosha.
- When Rahu, Saturn or Mars afflict Venus, then too it results in Pitra Dosha.
Even if one has no knowledge of Astrology, there are some indicators and signs which can signal the presence of Pitra Dosha in your horoscope. To read about them, click HERE.
EFFECTS OF PITRA DOSHA
- When Pitra Dosha exists in a horoscope, the person suffers even when he is honest, good and upright. In fact, the person often wonder what wrong have they done to undergo so much of misery and anguish.
- Pitra Dosha results in unfavorable environment in the family. The intensity of the results depends upon the severity of the combination of the planets. Pitra dosha results in constant stress and tension, obstructions in education or career, etc.
- The person may experience a lack of progress and growth despite hard work, never-ending legal conflicts, etc.
- It leads to delayed and/or unsuccessful marriages.
- Women afflicted with Pitra Dosha may face problems in begetting a child, repeated abortions.
- Illnesses, accidents, never-ending debts, etc. are other possible outcomes of Pitra Dosha.