Vaastu Shastra evolved during the Vedic period in India. It is a part of the Atharva Veda. Vaastu Shastra is a science as well as an art. It endeavours to harness the energies of the Panch Tatwas viz the five essential elements of nature which are applied in architecture and home designing. The basic purpose and principle of Vaastu Shastra are to help human beings live a healthy, prosperous and balanced life.
VAASTU & ASTROLOGY:
Vaastu is one of the important limbs of Vedic Astrology. Just as Astrology considers nine planets; so also there are nine directions in Vaastu. Each planet rules a particular direction. If you visit a Hindu temple, you will notice that idols of the navagrahas ie. the 9 planets placed facing the directions that they rule.
DIRECTIONS IN VAASTU:
The nine directions considered in Vaastu are East, West, North, South, North-East, North-West, South-East, South-West and the Central part also known as Brahma Sthala. Each direction has a specific significance. Every direction is ruled by a specific deity and is dominated by a particular tatwa or element. It is only when the five elements are in perfect harmony that life moves in a balanced and harmonious manner.
HERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT VAASTU TIPS RELATED TO THE NORTH CORNER OF THE HOUSE:
- The North direction is ideal to have the main door of the house. You can also have the main sitting area here.
- This direction is ideal to have study rooms, prayer and meditation rooms.
- The windows on the Northern side should be big and wide.
- It is preferable to avoid bedrooms or storerooms in the Northern corner of the house.
- The Northern corner of the house should be free from all clutter, dirt or dust. Preferably keep the North area open.
- Accumulation of junk, debris or unwanted articles in the North corner would result in expenses exceeding the income. It would also result in laziness and insomnia.
- It is ideal to store cash, liquid assets, jewellery and valuables in the North corner of the house.
- Mirrors placed on the Northern wall help in increasing your wealth and prosperity.
- One should not build bedrooms and storerooms in the Northern corner of the house. Similarly, heavy equipment and furniture should not be placed here.
- Avoid red color on the northern walls.